Sunday 15 January 2012

Day 3 - Job switch!

Ok, I'm still in my old job at figure skating, but I was given the possibility to try out my colleagues jobs! Sooo, my young sport presenter let me do the presentation of a group of athletes during the official trainings! :))

My text was similar to this:
Next group in this practice session: Warm-up group 3!
<Name of the athlete - Nation>
...

Your warm up time is 6 minutes.
There is one minute left in this warm up session. <Name of athlete #1>, please be prepared.

First skater in this practice session: <Athlete 1>; <Athlete #2>, please be prepared!

(After athlete 1s training): Your music time was: <length of the song>. Next athlete/pair is <Athlete 2>, <nation>! <Athlete 3> from <nation>, please be prepared!

And so on... should roughly give you an idea of what this job is about. It's actually a lot of fun ^^ Seeing how I'm an attention whore, I enjoyed it a lot xD And tomorrow I may do it again. :) What a career, eh? ;P My applications for jobs at local radio stations all failed, but instead I get to speak at a major international sport event. xD Loved it.

Other than that, I was also taking care of our ice stadium a bit. :) The figure skaters  damage the surface of the ice, so after (or during) trainings/competition, the ice machine would resurface the ice. Figure skaters, however, with all their jumps etc., also drill holes into the ice, which need to be filled. That's what I did. :D I was given a bucket of snow, walked around the ice and filled the holes ^^ Sounds silly, but I also enjoyed it. I mean, how many people get the chance to walk on olympic ice?! I sure do! ;) It's actually the jobs that sound really boring/unnecessary that I enjoy a lot here. My dream job here would be wiping the snow off the mats biathletes lie on when shooting in the prone. Anyone can do that job, but for some reason it's still special for me.

Today, I think I also improved my personal skills. The "soft skills" I learn here will definitely be of use in the future. I worked in an office for 9 months, and all I did was do what those above me in the hierarchy wanted me to do. I never got the chance to use my brain and solve problem myself. Here I do! :))

Tomorrow is our very first medal event and mascot ceremony. I hope we'll do fine. ^^ Oh, besides, Austria won two gold medals today :d So yeah, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment