Thursday 19 January 2012

Day 5-7 - Cooold!

'been a few days since my last update. I'm not sure if anything exciting happened on the 17th, because I can't think of anything. :) So I'll start with the 18th of January. We had practice sessions in figure skating from 7 am until 2 pm. I was the sports presenter, and was sitting in the ice hall with just the sound assistants. We should arrive half an hour before the start of the training to play music, but when I arrived, the sound assistant hadn't arrived yet. On my second day, I believe, I was told to "look around" to get to know what my team is doing, so I went to the Omega-room (Omega is the official time keeper at olympic games), where the sound assistants and scoreboard operators had their job trainings, and therefore, more or less, joined the sound assistant training. I never used the music computer programme, but it's also not complicated either. So as the sound assistant yet had to arrive, I was playing around with the equipment a bit until I got the music to work. That's when the first assistant had arrived, a minutes before 7 am. xD Whatever, it's not a biggie, she didn't know she had to arrive earlier.
It was the day after two medal competitions (on the 17th), so most athletes apparently didn't feel like training. Nobody showed up for the first practice session from 7-8 am, but in the second session from 8:10-9:50, we had a few couples practicing. And one of them was the gold medal winner from the day before... it's not surprising he won the medal, eh? ;P
At 2pm, my shift had ended and I went home. As there was no competition/training in the evening, I had the chance to go to medals plaza and watch my figure skaters get their medals. :)) And at 10pm I was also going to meet colleagues in the city, so I would have gone there anyway. So I took the Y20 to Congress Innsbruck, walked past the golden roof and went to medals plaza, where the olympic fire is burning.
The medal ceremony was really nice. :) Most Asian athletes didn't really show their emotions - if they felt anything anyways - except for a figure skater (gold) and a Korean boy (silver). The coolest moment probably was when France got a silver and gold medal ceremony in the same event... the French team was there and they've gone crazy xD It was a party!

It's pretty cold in Innsbruck in the evenings, so after the ceremonies, I still had two hours untill I'd meet my colleagues. Going home wouldn't pay off, so I was looking for a warm place to wait, and right behind the Olympic fire, there was a little tent where you could get free tea xD Some kind of promotion for GE, but the tea was good and the best of it: They had heaters there! xD So I was sitting by the heater, drinking my tea for a while and asked when they'd close. 10pm the girl said... so I decided to sit there for two hours xD I started to chat with the girls working there, had three cups of tea, and then Silja, one of my colleagues, joined me. I was still quite cold, but Silja didn't want to wait in the tent anymore, so we left :(( and I was freezing :(((((((( I mean, right next to that tent, there was another one where the entire tent was warm XD and they had pillows to sit on, even better! But Silja didn't let me sit! :((((((( She showed me where the merchandise shop was instead. On our way, I saw a woman standing in front of a shopping center, wearing the cap of the Austrian youth Olympic team. I was about to ask her if she had bought that cap as she wasn't wearing any other parts of the Austrian uniform, but yeah, I didn't want to bother her. Instead, when we were walking back after Silja had shown me the shop, we stopped at that shopping centre as she wanted to throw something in the bin. The woman with the cap was still standing there, and then approached me, asking where some building was. I told her that I'm not from Innsbruck, that my friend could perhaps help her, but then I was thinking that I've heard that voice before. And her face also looked pretty familiar. And then I got it! I was like "Oh my God! Are you...?!" and she was just "Yeah, I am. :)" It was Mirna Jukic! A really successful Austrian swimmer xD I took a picture with her and we went to the golden roof to meet the others.
It was quite difficult to find a nice bar... there was some kind of football match so every bar we went to was full :( We decided to stay in an Irish pub, but I didn't stay there for long. The football fans were annoying me, and I wanted to sit. I left not even 2 hours after I had met up with the others. I walked to the Y20 station Congress Innsbruck, but saw that the Korean team there was entering taxis. For a good reason: I just missed the last bus. -.- I only use the Olympic buslines, so I was a bit lost. I had to find a nightline bus (N3), but I had no idea where to go! The nightline map also wasn't very useful, as it just said that all nightline busses leave from the main train station.... ironically, I'd use the Olympic line Y20 to get there, but well... -.- So it was really cold and I had to find a bus in a city I don't really know. Even better: The nightlines drive once per hour. I posted my situation on facebook and walked towards medals plaza, hoping I'd find a station there: Nooo! I then asked a security guy guarding the medals plaza. He was actually from Vienna ^^ His colleagues told me where to go, but I also didn't find a station there. I then asked a really nice guy, who was trying to find the station for me, but failed, and then my phone rang. Apparently Ines, who also works at Olympiaworld, read my facebook status, and decided to guide me to the station. The problem was that I had just 10 minutes to get there, so I decided to run (wearing my winter shoes <.<). She guided me well, because I got to the bus just in time. :) Didn't have to wait for an hour, yaay!!

January 19th
This morning I went to Seefeld to watch the biathlon mixed team relay. I'm a biathlon fan, so it was really exciting for me. :) And Seefeld is also pretty amazing, you have no idea how much snow they have there.... :O Insane. The results of the biathlon could have been better, but whatever! After the race, I decided to go to the volunteer centre and update my blog... and here I am. :) Today's shift will start in 2 hours, I'll be the presenter for the practice sessions again until 11pm. Yay ;P But as I don't work at all tomorrow, so I can see an event in Kühtai (ski cross... also wanted to see the snowboard slope style event, but due to bad weather conditions, they decided to hold that event today, at the same time as the biathlon race... whatever, tomorrow I'll still get to see ski cross!) Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment